new times – Monday to Saturday 10am-4pm
Wellingborough Eco Group/Wellie Wombles can now offer to give away bags at Wellingborough Library from Monday to Saturday 10am to 4pm. Bags are supplied by Wellingborough Norse.
Strict Covid rules of two metres distancing, hand sanitising and facemasks apply to everyone. If you can’t collect at the times available, Wellingborough Norse can also provide loaned equipment and bags.
The loan of litter pickers will be a service that will be available at Wellingborough Library when covid rules are relaxed. Equipment will be loaned by Wellingborough Eco Group and all equipment will be sanitised or washed.
For those that want to keep their litter pickers, and to avoid a few return trips to the library, B&M and Wilko sell simple pickers for £3 each nearby.
Wellingborough Eco Group also encourages everyone to share photos of themselves litter picking and of what they have litter picked with our litter picking group, Wellie Wombles, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/welliewombles
Bag Collection Service Rules
COLLECTING EQUIPMENT AT WELLINGBOROUGH LIBRARY
Before collecting your bags and/or equipment, please read the rules and notes below:
- Covid safety is be our top priority, those not complying with lockdown or hands, space, face regulations will not be served.
- Wear a facemask and always keep two metres distance from everyone else when collecting and returning.
- Hand sanitiser, tissue and anti-bac spray will be available for people to sanitise tools and hands.
WHEN LITTER PICKING
- When litter picking, only do so as individuals or with people in your bubble, on public land such as parks, footpaths or local streets.
- Always maintain a minimum of two metres distance from other people.
- Wear suitable clothing including hi-vis vests, covered footwear and protective gloves whilst out on a litter pick.
- Never pick up sharp objects, including needles and glass. Do not touch hazardous items, including asbestos and bottles full of chemicals or wee. Report to Wellingborough Norse if found.*
- Don’t attempt to move large items or clear up fly tipping, report to Wellingborough Norse.*
- Never put yourself or others at risk, always avoid rivers, steep banks and busy roads.
- Always use the red/orange Wellingborough Norse bags for litter or clear bags for clean recyclables. Stickers will also be provided to stick on these bags to let people know that they are from litter picks..*
- Bags need to be left for Wellingborough Norse by a public highway, either on a path or verge for collection. Either post on the Wellie Wombles Facebook group where your collected litter bags have been left or call Wellingborough Norse to let them know where the bags have been left, so that they can be collected. Please do not leave bags by a public bin or on private land, as this could be reported as fly-tipping.*
RETURNING EQUIPMENT TO Wellingborough Library
- When returning borrowed equipment, follow the same procedure as when you collected your equipment, i.e. when you arrive, wait for the door to open.
- Leave on table and retreat two metres.
*For areas that are not within the Borough of Wellingborough, please obtain bags from your local council service and always inform them where bags have been left. In rural locations, bags need to be left on the verge of a public highway and your local council or service provider needs to be informed of their location. If hazardous or sharp objects are found, always report these to Wellingborough Norse on 01933 234520 or if in East Northants, to East Northamptonshire District Council on 01832 742055 (numbers may change from 1st April due to local government reform)
Our Loan and collection service is a scheme to give people the opportunity to litter pick and is designed to save unnecessary car journeys to Wellingborough Norse, and for people without cars, so that people can borrow equipment and collect bags in a more central location of the town.
Please note that Wellingborough Eco Group accepts no responsibility or liability for any accidents or injuries sustained during any group litter picks or solo picks.
Tuesday Tidy Ups
NEW VENUE – NEW TIME
In addition to the bag service offered at Wellingborough Library, Wellingborough Eco Group also offer a weekly service.
We have relocated this to Glamis Hall and this takes place from 4 until 8pm every Tuesday. This service is there to loan litter pickers, hi-vis vests, hoops and to give away bags. We also sell litter pickers and gloves.
This gives our Wellie Wombles volunteer litter pickers the opportunity to borrow equipment or to collect their bags and after school or work. Find out more here…