COMMUNITY RESILENCE PROJECT
“Here to help us help each other”
WELLINGBOROUGH CHRISTMAS PLAN
It goes without saying, this year has been difficult for all of us, and events have stretched us in ways we would never have imagined only 12 months ago. The world has changed enormously as have many of our lives, and we have lost so many people dear to us along the way.
Christmas is a time for celebration, sharing time with family and friends, caring and reaching out to others in love and friendship. It also a time for us to have a break from work and enjoy other activities, or to just go shopping. But, this time it’s already more challenging, many people will be on their own, some will be coping with the loss of dear ones and feeling that loss more keenly. Many have lost jobs or work and are struggling to feed themselves and their families, and others are still isolating and trying to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. Others still will be working hard on ‘the front-line’, as they have done all year, providing our essential services, and we have seen this year just how ‘essential’ these services are as well as the people (our neighbours, friends and family members) that provide them.
If ever there was a time to really connect with the spirit of Christmas and reach out with compassion, care and friendship, it’s now. And, in this spirit, friends, colleagues and community members from across Wellingborough are coming together to create the WELLINGBOROUGH CHRISTMAS PLAN.
Lead by colleagues from the ONE WELLINGBOROUGH (1W) Plus Community Resilience Project, we aim to bring people and groups together to see how we can help across our areas throughout Christmas. We know at this time many of our needs become more acute, we feel loneliness more keenly, the fact that we have less money is even harder to cope with, and if we are reliant on others for a helping hand, this need is heightened as places we often rely on close for their Christmas break. So, we plan to bring people and groups together to see how we can all help, learning about what help people need as we go along.
We are looking for people and groups to join us by offering time, maybe food and gifts, helpful items for people in various situations, and sometimes just a helping hand or a phone call.
The Many Parts of the WELLINGBOROUGH CHRISTMAS PLAN
The Wellingborough Christmas Plan, at present will cover the following topics / areas….
- Food needs – aiming to provide frozen meals – including Christmas dinner, and Food parcels for those struggling (in conjunction with groups across the community)
- Support Needs – through the ONE WELLINGBOROUGH (1W) support service, and other organisations and volunteers – providing urgent assistance with shopping, collecting medication and giving people a friendly phone call to see if they are ok, having a chat
- Celebrating Christmas and Challenging Loneliness – Our Partners and friends will be providing some on-line entertainment for young and old, games to join in with, shows to watch as well as inspiring neighbours and friends to get together safely outside and maybe even sing carols or other Christmas songs, spreading a bit of Christmas cheer (in COVID safe ways), and filming and sharing your events on line to inspire others
- Activities – Offering and encouraging people to take exercise, join in some small group winters walks volunteers will lead, and maybe digging the bike out for some small group cycling too. There may also be some more litter picks to continue to help spruce up our town / borough
- Information and Events– We plan to provide Events and Information details through an Online Advent Calendar, where local groups and organisations that have been helping all year will tell us about their services, and how they might be able to help over Christmas. The calendar will also provide information about events and activities available over December 2020, provided by 1W Plus members or other groups and businesses in the Community, so keep a ‘look out’ for that
- Finding that all Important Gift / Present – Maybe this year our gift to each other could be reaching out and offering good cheer and some time to connect and listen, and of course it could also be helping each other to find gifts, as going shopping for many could be difficult. The Wellingborough Eco Group are starting their Swap Shop throughout December 2020, as well as launching the Repair Club, we are keen to help people move good quality items to find ‘new homes’ with adults and children across our area, so if you have any items you feel would make a lovely gift for others please make contact with the Wellingborough ECO Group – find out more at wellingboroughecogroup.org.uk or via facebook.com/groups/wellingboroughecogroup facebook.com/groups/wellingboroughswapshop and facebook.com/groups/repairclub
- The Big Christmas Give – The main part of our plans over Christmas to help provide a little Christmas Cheer is to launch ‘THE BIG CHRISTMAS GIVE’, this an APPEAL for items to share with others, this could be food items (nonperishable), good quality clean clothing, games, gifts for children (in very good condition), Christmas decorations and items, and possible presents for adults too. We aim to parcel up these items to create little ‘Hampers of Joy’ and store them at the Victoria Centre. Once ready, we would open up on 2 given dates to the public (using a booking system) for folks in need to pop in to collect items. Anything left over will be parceled and sent out to be distributed to people in various areas
What Areas We Will Cover….
The WELLINGBOROUGH CHRISTMAS PLAN can / will cover all of Wellingborough Borough and we are hopeful that people, groups, organisations and businesses from across the area will step up to join in. Many will already be planning things and we offer many information outlets we have to help share their actions and let others know, so even if you only want to take part to amplify what you are already doing we would love to have you on board.
Taking Part – Joining In
Delivering this plan is going to take a great many of us to make this happen, and we all have ways we can help, even if we also need help ourselves. If you, your street, your company, group or organisation would like to take part in whatever way you can please get in touch
Ways You Can Help can include, helping out by
- Giving time to volunteer in making or distributing food
- Helping leading a walk or cycle ride
- Supporting us to sort out donations, and helping clean them as required
- Answering the phone or responding to emails
- Letting us know about an activity or event you might be running to add to our Calendar
- Putting up posters, passing out leaflets
- Donating gifts, items, food or clothing
- Helping run the BIG CHRISTMAS GIVE
- Setting up a Christmas support group in your street and a COVID safe Christmas singing event in your street
- Checking on friends and neighbours safely
We can all do something to spread a bit of cheer and help out, take your pick….
Getting in Touch….
This project is led by Victoria Centre and our many partners and friends from across all the Communities of our Borough. Please contact the team at the Victoria Centre to share your ideas and thoughts. If you need to speak about any particular idea please contact Marion Turner-Hawes, our Centre Manager.
1W Plus community partners include….
1W Plus Community Resilience Activities are funded by….