Tuesday Tidy Ups Action Plan and Rules
Wellingborough Eco Group/Wellie Wombles offer individuals or people in the same bubble the loan of litter pickers, hi-vis, gloves and to give away bags at the Victoria Centre; equipment has been loaned and bags supplied by Wellingborough Norse. All equipment will be sanitised or washed and returned to Wellingborough Norse the following day.
Due to current restrictions, collection is by arrangement only as the centre is currently closed to the public. When the centre is open to the public, bags will be available at any time without the need to register. If you can’t collect at the times available, Wellingborough Norse can also provide loaned equipment and bags.
To borrow some litter picking equipment or to obtain bags, people will need to register by filling in the form below. Wellingborough Eco Group will email back to give details on how to call and collect bags and equipment, and to return equipment.
Equipment and bags, or just bags, are to be collected from the ‘GIRLS’ entrance to Victoria Centre (the fire escape door from the hall) equipment is to be returned to the Victoria Centre on the same day; and bags left for Wellingborough Norse by a public bin, preferably by a public highway, for collection.
Wellingborough Eco Group will also need to know where individuals or bubbles are litter picking so that they can monitor which areas are being litter picked. Litter pickers need to post where collected litter bags have been left on the Wellie Wombles Facebook group or let Wellingborough Norse know so that they can be collected.
Strict Covid rules of two metres distancing, hand sanitising and facemasks apply to everyone. Guidelines will be marked outside the collection point. No one will be allowed into the Victoria Centre, Jonathan Hornett will be contactable and at the Victoria Centre between 1:30 and 5:30 on Tuesdays, so that people can collect and return anytime in that time period.
People who have registered will be given Jonathan’s work phone number to let him know when they arrive. He will then bring any equipment requested and bags out to a table and retreat to two metres distance so people can collect. On returning equipment, people will call Jonathan, and leave on the table, then retreat two metres for Jonathan to take back. Hand sanitiser, tissue and anti-bac spray will also be on this table for people to sanitise tools and hands.
For those that want to keep their litter pickers, and to avoid a few return trips to the Victoria Centre, Wellingborough Eco Group will also sell simple pickers for £3 each (also available at B&M and Wilko for the same price). Registered people can let Wellingborough Eco Group know if they want these on their registration form. Cash on collection.
Wellingborough Eco Group also encourages everyone to share photos of themselves litter picking and of what they have litter picked with our litter picking group, Wellie Wombles, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/welliewombles
Litter Picker Loan and Bag Collection Service
To register for our ‘call and collect service,’ please fill in the form below:
Before collecting your bags and/or equipment, please read the rules and notes below.
Tuesday Tidy Up Rules
collecting Equipment At The Victoria Centre
- Covid safety is be our top priority, those not complying with lockdown or hands, space, face regulations will not be served.
- Only individuals or people in the same bubble will be lent equipment.
- Due to current restrictions, collection is by arrangement only as the centre is currently closed to the public.
- Wear a facemask and always keep two metres distance from everyone else when collecting and returning. Two metre guidelines will be marked outside the collection point.
- Hand sanitiser, tissue and anti-bac spray will be available for people to sanitise tools and hands.
- This is a register, call and collect service, not a stall. People need to register using the above form or at https://wellingboroughecogroup.org.uk/eco/litter-picking/wellie-wombles/ (it’s the same form)
- People who have registered will be given Jonathan’s work phone number to call him when they arrive. He will then bring any equipment requested and bags out to a table and he will retreat to two metres distance so people can collect.
when Litter Picking
- When litter picking, only do so as individuals or with people in your bubble, on public land such as parks, footpaths or local streets.
- Always maintain a minimum of two metres distance from other people.
- Wear suitable clothing including hi-vis vests, covered footwear and protective gloves whilst out on a litter pick.
- Never pick up sharp objects, including needles and glass. Do not touch hazardous items, including asbestos and bottles full of chemicals or wee. Report to Wellingborough Norse if found.*
- Don’t attempt to move large items or clear up fly tipping, report to Wellingborough Norse.*
- Never put yourself or others at risk, always avoid rivers, steep banks and busy roads.
- Always use the red/orange Wellingborough Norse bags for litter or clear bags for clean recyclables. Stickers will also be provided to stick on these bags to let people know that they are from litter picks..*
- Bags need to be left for Wellingborough Norse by a public highway, either on a path or verge for collection. Either post on the Wellie Wombles Facebook group where your collected litter bags have been left or call Wellingborough Norse to let them know where the bags have been left, so that they can be collected. Please do not leave bags by a public bin or on private land, as this could be reported as fly-tipping.*
Returning Equipment to THE VICTORIA CENTRE
- When returning borrowed equipment, follow the same procedure as when you collected your equipment, i.e. call when you arrive and wait for Jonathan to open door.
- Leave on table or by the wall at the ‘Girls Entrance’ of the Victoria Centre and retreat two metres.
*For areas that are not within the Borough of Wellingborough, please obtain bags from your local council service and always inform them where bags have been left. In rural locations, bags need to be left on the verge of a public highway and your local council or service provider needs to be informed of their location. If hazardous or sharp objects are found, always report these to Wellingborough Norse on 01933 234520 or if in East Northants, to East Northamptonshire District Council on 01832 742055 (numbers may change from 1st April due to local government reform)
Tuesday Tidy Ups is a scheme to give people the opportunity to litter pick during their exercising time allowed during the lockdown.
Tuesday Tidy Ups is designed to save unnecessary car journeys to Wellingborough Norse, and for people without cars, so that people can borrow equipment and collect bags in a more central location of the town.
Please note that Wellingborough Eco Group accepts no responsibility or liability for any accidents or injuries sustained during any group litter picks or solo picks.
The police and environmental health team at the Borough Council of Wellingborough have been informed about Tuesday Tidy Ups.